Friday, August 3, 2012

Just a few things........

It's been close to a week, and I bet you might want to know to whom the scraps from the QuiltCon challenge blocks went.  (Is that a sentence?  I'm thinkin' the English teachers might be out to get me with that one!!  Oh well!)  Cindy was lucky enough to win them and along with the bag of scraps, I included a surprise.  I hope she liked it.


On another front, I received my quilt from the June/July QT Swap where backyard was the theme.  WendysKnitch sent me this cute little number:

From WendysKnitch - QT Swap

I don't know if you can tell, but each hole is really a black button.  How clever!

I decided to join the August bitty block (3.5 inches) swap again.......I must be nuts making those tiny blocks all the time, but I think I'm hopelessly hooked.  The theme this month is cats and Halloween.  Believe it or not, I only decided to do 12 cats.  I thought I needed a break, I guess.  This Fat Cat took plenty of time though:

BBC - August - Fat Cats

Hope he didn't scare you!!!  lol  Here he is with his 11 brothers:

August - Cats - 12 Fat ones

How fun seeing them all together, huh?  Although I did cut them all out at the same time, and sew them the same day, each has their own personality, I think.  Check it out!  I bet you'll think so too.  Funny how that happens!

Right now, I'm doing a happy dance!!  This afternoon, I received the name of my Scrappy Mug Rug partner!  I love the mug rug swap.  (Actually, I love any secret swap, but don't tell that to the mug rug mamas 'cause  they're all my friends and I wouldn't want them to get upset with me and give me a crummy partner next time, okay??)  In reality, I have been so excited to swap again, that I made two mug rugs even before the news of my partner hit my e-mail.  Who knows if my partner will like either one, but I will post them anyway and hope for a comment.  Why not?  I'm thinking this happened because my sewing machine is going in for a cleaning on Monday and I have to use it to it's full capacity while it's still here.  What I want to know though is why I am getting all these creative ideas now????  NO Fair, I say!!!  You should see all my notes.  I sure hope they don't leave my brain for a week.  Eikes!  Anyway, here is the 1st mug rug:

Pretty Little Piped Petals Mug Rug

Did you see the piped petals?  That was a trick, let me tell you.  First I had to make the piping, then the petals, sew them together, turn them inside out and then finally sew them to the background.  Whew!  To be honest, I don't like it as much as I thought I would.  I probably should have used a solid white background.  That's what I get for trying to be clever!

So, that's it.  Nothing else too much new.  Maybe I'll go outside and take pictures of my growing stuff so I have something to show you for next time.  Until then, take care and sew something pretty!

13 comments:

Laura said...

I love the background, though. Maybe stronger colors in the petals? It is so cute! Your swap partner will be very happy!

Sewconsult said...

I, too, like the newspaper background. Where did you get the fabric? Love the tiny piping! The bird houses are so cute. The buttons are a perfect solution when someone (me) has trouble cutting out circles.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

Sara said...

I see a ladybug in there too with the flower--adorable!

Annie said...

Oh, good golly, Fat Cat is just too much! Really fun! You know me, Miss Addicted to Text Prints, I love the background. I agree, more contrast in the petal fabrics and I bet you'd change your mind about how much you like it. What a cute idea with the pipped petals. Um, you said you made two mug rugs.....I only see one! Show me the other one too!

Elaine said...

Such happy cats! Have you decided what to do with all the bitty blocks you get in return?

Maritza said...

Carol, me encantaron las casitas....y los gatos se ven geniales todos juntos. Un beso

Trudi said...

Love your mug rug, sorry I sat this one out :)

Jane said...

I adore this mug rug and would be so happy to ever be in a swap with you and receive ti! I love your cats too!

2ne said...

Love your cat blocks :-)

martinmosaics said...

I actually love the fabric background!!

Dianne said...

Cats are hysterical and I agree they each have their own personality. Love the text print in the mug rug and the piping is brilliant. BTW you are clever there is no trying necessary!

Kathy H said...

I love that flower. I am sure your swap partner will love it too.

Anonymous said...

I just found your site thru Pintrest and I am so in love with your work! I love the 'newspaper' background of the flower. I never would have thought of piping the flowers.