Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Visitors

I am one happy girl this morning!!!  Not only did our governor win his recall election (in case you're not politically knowledgeable, it was a big deal historically, I guess!) but something else happened this morning that I haven't seen in over 10 years..........or maybe longer and I am super delighted and excited!

Looky...................

See the ducks?

Do you see them?  I had to take the picture through the kitchen window with the zoom in order to even get them in the frame...........but they're so beautiful!  (And totally unexpected after all this time.)  We used to get ducks swimming in our pool a lot when we first moved here close to 25 years ago, but things have really built up in all those years and now, not 10 lots away, is a major roadway with fast food places and shopping of all sorts.

You can imagine my delight when they both jumped in the water to take a swim (since they were swimming my way) but then, when they got out, I was thrilled:

Taking a morning swim

I couldn't flash my camera fast enough.  In fact, for some reason, many of the pictures wouldn't transfer to my desktop.

Ducks in the pool

At this juncture, believe it or not, Toby decided he needed to go out........(just when things were getting good!)  I made DH take him for a walk out the front so he wouldn't scare them into flying away.  Unfortunately, they did fly off anyway not long after the front door slammed!  Oh well..............it was fun while it lasted!  Now, I can only hope they'll be back.  Nature sure is beautiful.......especially when it's totally unexpected!!

9 comments:

Annie said...

Carol, how fun! I would have thought they wouldn't like all the pool chemicals.

Cindy Sharp said...

I'm glad they found a friendly place to take a swim.

My mom chases them out of her pool with a broom stick. (No she isn't a whitch....she just doesn't like the mess they leave behind.)

Liz DandeliondD said...

Wow to having the ducks and the pool!!!!!!!!!
xxxx

Beezus said...

I have to say that this totally reminds me of the Sopranos. :)

And BTW, that's actually a good thing, right? Because the ducks made Tony see that there was maybe, just maybe the possibility for a different life than being a mob don. lol

Sheila said...

glad to see i am not the only one that gets excited when this happens. I used to try and encourage them to stay by feeding the ones that visited us. That was until my husband pointed out the great dark "stains" they left on the pool surround. Now i am thrilled to see them but leave them to find their own food. Friends had a pair nest near their pool , so had the ducklings learning to swim in their pool.. very special

Sheila said...

PS... maybe a quilt could come from this visit

Sandi said...

We have an ornament pool in the courtyard of our condo that has an upper and lower pool with a "waterfall". For several years we've had nesting duck in the undergrowth around the pool.

I've seen as many as 8+ duckling in one brood.

Recently they cleared out the undergrowth and I've not seen the duckling, the adults were swimming in the pools this year, so there may be young learning how to swim shortly.

Check out my post from August 2008.

Shirley said...

Hi Carol,
I have been enjoying your talents for a few months now and can't tell you how much enjoyment I get just from viewing them! you're a very creative lady! Thanks so much for sharing,
Shirley

Love your ducks :)
Shirley

Janet said...

I am also a happy girl about the results of your governor recall election. I clutched my glass of wine and intently watched the results from our home in Washington state. I love your work. Thanks for the inspiration!