Friday, May 27, 2011

STUD is really not a cool dude.....

Actually, STUD stands for "Swap 'til U drop".  Clever, huh?  I joined this Flickr group awhile back and it is ongoing every two months and you can join at will, which means if you want to, it's okay, and if you're too busy or don't like the theme, that's okay too.  (Talk about run-on sentence there...whew!) I'll try to behave!  So....like I was saying, I've been a part of this group for awhile, but seldom join in any specific theme.  I really prefer when they used to have it every month instead of two.  It drives me nuts having my stuff sit here so long without showing anybody.  LOL  My mind goes in so many directions, that often, when it's time to send out my stuff, I'm not even crazy about it anymore.  Not good!

Well, this time, we had a Disney theme.  Now, my original idea was cute and I really thought that I could be creative using a Disney coloring page from the internet as my inspiration, but after I got my swap partner, "Bouncy Poodle".........(who incidentally is marvelous at these little quilts), she threw me in a completely different direction.  She wanted to do Disney music.  What?  Hey babe, I'm old....I don't watch Disney movies.....please.........???!!!  Music?  So I started thinking and the ONLY song I could remember right off the top of my head was, "When you wish upon a star"......from Pinocchio.  Well, actually it was the theme song from the Disney TV series from the 50's, the show that was on Sunday nights.  I remember as a child going to bed and looking out the window at the stars and wishing something or another....who knows what???  


Of course, I got out my fabric and started going to work.  You have no idea how many star fabrics I had out before I choose this one:


It's hard to tell,  but I wanted all the noses to be looking up at the biggest, brightest star.  You'll note that I sort of chopped all little green pieces first for my grassy hill and fused them first.  I wanted interest in every aspect of this little quilt.  I can't remember the exact size, but if I recall, it's somewhere around 10x14 inches.  (Dummy me forgot to measure it before I sent it out.)

Well, when it was all done, fused and sewn, this is how it looked:

"When you wish upon a star......"

Note that I raw edged the applique, but......and this was the time consuming part......I hand quilted the background by putting a single french knot (actually it was a colonial knot 'cause they're so much easier for me) in the middle of each tiny star.  Each knot is tied off on the back.  Here are some closeups:

Close-up - "When you wish upon a star"

Detail

Did you see all the noses up in the air?  And the ladybug and worm buttons too?  Oh this was a fun one! I'm sure glad that Patti, alias "Bouncy Poodle" changed the direction of the theme.  This was so much more fun and really brought me back to my childhood!  'Course, I never really sat on a hill with all those animals looking up at the sky......but in those days, that might have been what I was wishing for all along.

46 comments:

Sparky said...

I noted that right away Carol with their noses and fabric choices..just perfect..TELLING YOU perfect...
this one I adore...ahhh I adore them all..but this one...mm

Anja said...

This is sooo lovely!
I´m sure, your partner will love this!

Lynn said...

Absolutely adorable:@)

Dawn S. said...

How adorable! I love all the little details and embellishments.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Amazing and adorable!!!!

Cindy Sharp said...

Perfection! I particularly love your signature birdie up in the tree, and the patchwork grass. The grass almost looks like a green quilt - the little girl could easily be sitting on the side of her bed looking out the window. You even remembered Mickey!

Well done!!

Funoldhag said...

All I can say is -WOW!!!!! Sooooo cute.

pinsandneedles said...

Isn't this the cutest? I love it! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I just love it! Your quilts are amazing and I think you could write a book!

Sue said...

Darn this one is not for sale! I would have snatched it up in a heartbeat for my girl's room. It is just wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

Too cute for words! You always inspire me so much with your creative genius! The "Colonial Knots" are a perfect touch ... everything is great!

Susan said...

I love all your work, but I have to say this one is great. you have one lucky partner!

Kathy said...

That is just too cute! I love the little bird you put on all your quilts. You did a great job of interpreting the theme of the swap!

Nedra said...

Really cute! I especially loved the green quilt in patches.

Unknown said...

Its so cute and peaceful with the little noses up in the air, even the bird looking at the star :o) wonderful!

Calicojoan said...

This is just adorable. You can the most creative person I know!

PeggyinNO said...

You truly amaze me with your talent! This quilt makes you want to sit beside them and look and the stars too! Wonderful!

Shannon said...

OH my!! It is sooo cute!! I love it. I can see there little noses and how the little girl is making a wish. I love how the stars are all "twinkling". So wonderful. If she does not love it then she is blind!

9patchnurse said...

I just love your creations!! All the detail make them so much fun to look at. I love the eyelashes and the leash and the buttons on the dress. So doggone cute!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

I wish I was your swap partner! How cute is this! That song is one of my favs from Disney.

Poppyprint said...

Carol, you are simply the best at interpreting theme quilts. I just love your characters...and for me the cleverest part is the little girl's eyelashes!! You're so good at achieving smooth free motion lines so close to the edge of your applique. Impressive!!! Lucky bouncy poodle.

Wendy said...

Stunningly adorable! I love it......another masterpiece that you have created......

Nancy B said...

Lucky Patti...this is so adorable! Love the ribbons in her ponies.

Mary said...

So have you heard from Patti? It would be fun to hear about her reaction to your imaginative creation. Can I be your partner too???

matate10 said...

Love it!! Especially her big hairQ

BubzRugz said...

Georgeousness....
Hugz

StitchinByTheLake said...

Oh Carol I just love this. I know I say that about all your stuff but those little noses in the air...too cute! blessings, marlene

Kathy said...

I love this. You must have such fun making all your little quilts. They are all so imaginative. So talented. Thanks for sharing with us.

PolkaDotClassic said...

Is just beautiful!
very creative, nothing less from U

Amy said...

You are clever! So cute.

Sewconsult said...

You continue to amaze me how your talent can turn a memory or a thought into a wonderful fabric rendition.
You are so talented and blessed!
Beckie

Jan Maree said...

Way too Cute!!!!!! I never tire of looking at what you create.!!! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Luv it, this one makes you say "ahhhhhhh!"
thanks for giving us the sizes of the quilt. The cotton tail is adorable on the rabbit. And the collar around the dog--precious. I love looking at your artistic creations. Thanks for sharing.
Brenda

Simone de Klerk said...

This is so cute! Love how you show us the steps.

Simone de Klerk said...

This is so cute! Love how you show us the steps.

Simone de Klerk said...

This is so cute! Love how you show us the steps.

Shayla Sharp said...

So adorable--I love all the little details, like the dog collar and leash, fluffy bunny tail, and yes, those cute buttons! She's going to love this, no doubt about it, its too fab not to!

KatieQ said...

Wow! This block is fabulous. I love all the little noses looking up to make their wish.

Wendy said...

Carol, your work is utterly amazing .... thank you so much for sharing it :) What a treat it is to just look upon this and imagine all the wishes being made.

Josie said...

Oh heck... you just made me cry! One minute I was admiring your fabulous work and amazing talent the next... humming 'when I wish upon a star' and blubbing! Guess I was that little girl in the 50's too! Thanks for the memories ;)

CraftyGardenMom - Tanesha said...

This is so stinkin' cute! Love this song, and your quilt interpretation is perfect.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I love what you did Carol! Lucky partner!

Unknown said...

This quilt inspired my daughter at 13 to make a picture as she calls it. So she takes over my sewing room and Im not allowed to go in there and look :o) Wonder what she comes up with....

Bouncypoodle said...

Hello I'm back from my camping trip, and my package from Carol arrived today! Talk about the most darling thing you ever saw! The work detail is just stunning in person! Your quilt will be hung proudly in my sewing room next to my table to inspire me daily. Thank you Carol for playing along with me and challenging ourselves with the music from Disney. You are a super swap partner, and now a new friend!

Your STUD Disney music quiltie is in the mail this evening and I hope you enjoy it in a few days! Please share pictures with your friends if you want to! Pattiann (Bouncypoodle)

Linda said...

Absolutely fabulous! What an amazing amount of detail. You are very clever.

Thearica said...

I am so glad I found your blog this morning! You are such an inspiration!!!