Thursday, November 11, 2010

One Design 2 1/2 ways

Here I was all excited to show you something really neat......but that's not what will happen, unfortunately. :( I wanted to do 3 quilts using 3 different techniques all with the same design and let you pick your favorite.

Some time ago when I was doing the doll swap, there was a quilter who made a gorgeous quilt using a colored pencil technique of coloring her fabric. I lost the blog for awhile, but just the other day, re-found it and really was excited to show you. I gathered my stuff:

My super expensive colored pencil set from 1000 years ago when I used to make cards, and do drawings for fun.............lookie at all those 120 gorgeous colors.................

Then, my textile medium and brushes that I just bought recently for this demonstration. I was all set. I read over her blog referring to her instructions for the fabric tinting tutorial and I thought I was ready to go.
First, I prepared my fabric the same way as I do when I color it with crayons, tracing my design, and ironing freezer paper to the back. I did exactly what she said with my pencils, coloring them on as I wanted and then painted each section with the medium, washing my brush after each application to a different section and color.

Tell me why then , did my green run onto my white fabric???? Can you see that section right there at the top of that green bow? That wouldn't work!! UGLY!!! No way would I use that mess! In fact I wasn't crazy about the colors in the first place!! You'd think with 120 colors, they'd at least have a decent red!!! UGH!!!

Needless to say, I never finished this one.......and I will NEVER use the colored pencil technique again either. I'll stick to my other favorites........applique:

Merry Christmas Mug Rug

And crayons:

Happy Birthday Mug Rug

After all, how many techniques does a girl need anyway????? Two is plenty for me, thank you!!

6 comments:

Ursula said...

Your way is, as always, amazing! I love them both! I really have to try one of these.

Shayla Sharp said...

Hmm, I've never used textile medium with pencil--I just do it the same as with crayons. Color, iron, outline. Shows what I know. :)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

You two techniques have perfect results!

Jo said...

oh blow, I bought that fabric medium back when the doll quilt showed up, but as yet have not had time to use it. I did however have a go at the crayon technique and that was great, so after looking at your attempt think I will stick to the crayons.

Rettabug said...

LOVE your new header, Carol...and I love this newest little mug rug, too!

I never had that many colored pencils in my life. I think I have pencil envy!!! ;-)

Wendy said...

What a fab design, both look great. Don't stop at two techniques though - what about embroidering the design, cross stitching it, reverse applique, knitting or crochet them and sewing on... Should I go away now?